Pages

Monday 29 August 2016

Itumeleng Ramagaga - Deep Moon Emporium featured on Making Moves






Itumeleng (Mercia) Ramagaga owner of Deep Moon Emporium and #NwsdAlumni Featured on Making Moves

27 min in you could view the Interview with Itumeleng.






Read highlights if the interview here:


Siya Mdlalose – Presenter

S.Mdlalose: Today I’ll be spending the day with our featured entrepreneur in Rustenburg. Her name is Mercia. Mercia sells clothes that she makes herself. Let’s go talk to her and hear how her business of clothing is doing.

M.Ramagaga: Hi.

S.Mdlalose: Good morning.


M.Ramagaga: How are you?

S.Mdlalose: I’m well and yourself?

M.Ramagaga: I’m well.

S.Mdlalose: I’m Siya from Making Moves.

M.Ramagaga: I’m Itumeleng. Welcome.

S.Mdlalose: Thank you very much. I like what I see. Your clothes are stunning.

M.Ramagaga: We do our best.

S.Mdlalose: Take me back to where it all started. How has the journey been?

M.Ramagaga: My journey started when I was doing my final year at North West School of Design. When I was writing my final year exams, I was already getting orders for weddings. Our exams were from 8 am until 8 pm so, after my exams, I would get home and continue making the dresses. Then I would need to prepare for my exams the following day. The good thing about it is that I met my deadlines. That’s when I knew that I can run the business because I can work under pressure.
These are some of my garments. My own work. We have our own studio at the back, we work from here.

S.Mdlalose: Setting up a business like this doesn’t seem inexpensive?

M.Ramagaga: No, it’s not.

S.Mdlalose: How much money did you need to make sure that you get things in place?

M.Ramagaga: You don’t need capital to start a business because you can start with an order that has been placed. They can pay you a deposit. I sold the garments that I made for the graduation fashion show for R800. That’s how I started my business! I started with that R800.
This is where we do our work. You can tell by the sewing machines in there. We start with the pattern of your garment. Shoni is busy with a pattern for the garment, after it has been cut, we do a straight stitch. From the straight stitch, you overlock. After they are done here. It goes for the button holes that side.

S.Mdlalose: How many staff members do you have?

M.Ramagaga: I have Skha, the seamstress, I have other two part time seamstresses, then Katlego that does embroidery and also helps in front. Then I have Shoni. Shoni is doing her Licentiateship in Fashion. I take students from tertiary institutes for internships and practical.

Skha Luphahla – Emloyee

S.Luphahla: I do a lot of sewing here. Mercia cuts the cloth. I then join and overlock. Then I finish off the garment. Mercia is a bubbly person but when it comes to work, she’s very serious.

Masello Senne – Client

M.Senne: I heard about Deep Moon through a friend in 2014. We were in Jo’burg and I wanted an outfit for the opening of the North West Legislation, so, I was referred to Mercia. She’s the best! The outfit I’m wearing today was done by Deep Moon. This was the first outfit she made for me. Her outfits are out of this world. They are unique.

S.Mdlalose: Your ladies and gents are well trained.

M.Ramagaga: This is where we do our rehearsals. These are our catwalk models. Some of them are photoshoot models, but for practicing posture, I tell them to come in. We have other models that aren’t here today. We have about 50 to 60 models in our agency.

S.Mdlalose: Thank you for your time. We have learned a lot about Deep Moon. I saw your beautiful garments. The amazing work that you do in empowering the youth. We’ll meet at the studio.

M.Ramagaga: Thank you. Yes, we’ll meet at the studio.








No comments:

Post a Comment